CIA psychologist who interrogated 9/11 mastermind says withdrawal from Afghanistan “puts us more at risk”
The CIA psychologist who helped design a program to interrogate the accused mastermind behind the September 11th, 2001, the terrorist attacks claim that the recent withdrawal from Afghanistan “puts us more in danger”.
Dr James Mitchell criticized the Biden administration’s handling of the US military’s withdrawal from Afghanistan by August 31, as the country turns 20 since September 11, and said the Taliban would likely blame it on other terrorist groups for future attacks.
A CIA PSYCHOLOGIST WHO QUESTIONED THE 9/11 MASTERMIND TELLS GITMO “DELAY JUSTICE”
“We gave them weapons and money and a safe haven to plan the attacks,” Mitchell said. “I don’t know what we were thinking.”
Washington has spent more than $ 80 billion in Afghanistan over two decades and left thousands of weapons in the country after the last US troops left Kabul.
“In terms of responding to any attack from the Taliban, they are probably going to try to distance themselves from it,” he said of the terrorist group. “You may remember that the Taliban told Biden that ‘we will not attack your people’ and then let ISIS attack and kill these 13 Marines. … The suggestion that we can deal with people who want to imposing Sharia law on the world as if it were an ordinary government is, I think, naive. “
CIA AGENTS WHO LEADED THE CHARGE IN AFGHANISTAN THINK BIDEN WITHDRAWAL “CATASROPHIC BADLY MANAGED”: AUTHOR
Mitchell, who designed the interrogation program with the aim of getting Islamic fighters who had been “trained to resist interrogation” to discuss any future planned terrorist attacks against the United States, said he believed that Sharia law and democracy “could not coexist”.
“We have to get the stranded families out of there,” the medical psychologist said. “I think we should be doing everything we can to save the citizens of America from what’s going on there. I think those responsible for this should be ashamed of themselves.”
Khalid Sheikh Mohammed, the planner accused of the terrorist attacks Mitchell interviewed in 2003, and four other Guantanamo Bay detainees appeared in court together on Tuesday for the first time in 500 days to preliminary sections after the delays caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
9/11 MASTERMIND, 4 OTHER GUANTANAMO BAY INMATES SEEN SMILE IN FIRST COLLECTIVE APPEARANCE IN 500 DAYS
The hearings, which resumed on Friday, are the latest attempt to move forward a case that has stalled for years amid legal challenges.
Mohammed and his four other co-defendants are charged with several crimes, including terrorism, hijacking and 2,976 counts of murder for their alleged roles in planning and providing logistical support to the 9/11 plot .
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
The quintet has been held at Guantanamo Bay since September 2006, after several years spent in clandestine CIA detention centers after their capture.
Lucas Tomlinson and Vandana Rambaran of Fox News contributed to this report, as well as the Associated Press.